Color makes a difference. When the color is right, it can:
- enhance your well being, feelings, and health
- modify the temperature – make the space feel warmer or cooler
- transform the space by making it look larger, or more cozy or intimate
- illuminate dark areas
- energize static areas
- create romance of a dark and dull space
But generalization of colors by “red is energizing, blue is soothing, green is relaxing could only apply to certain hues that are used”, – says Barbara Jacobs, principal of Barbara Jacobs Color & Design. “A sharp, electric green definitely would not be relaxing; a deep blue-green might feel cold instead of soothing. The wrong red used in an entire room might create the sensation of entrapment rather than energy,” she says.
In order to make right color choices for your environment, Barbara Jacobs recommends to answer simple questionnaire:
- Where is the room location?
- How many windows are there and which direction do they face?
- Is there landscaping outside that will have an effect on the color in the room?
- Who will use the room, what will they do there? Is it private or community space?
- Will it be sociable and active place, or a peaceful place? How do i want it to feel?